Thursday, May 24, 2007

NPR mornings

I love non-working days, mostly because of long leisurely mornings. So many of my favorite things are best done in the morning: listening to npr, drinking coffee, making lists, doing yoga, pollution-light walks, or knitting/sewing. What's wonderful is the lack of hurry. Sometimes I wish I was someone who jumped out of bed and rushed joyfully into the day. But I really love to start slow. By a certain hour though, I tire of lolling about and need to accomplish something or at least get out with other people.

This brings me to a topic that will become a recurring theme on this blog: the help. Namely, our housekeeper, Maria. Now, when I have a little more time, I will give a little of the background. For now, in relation to NPR mornings, Maria is a master at the disapproving glance. If I stay in my bedroom and pop out for more coffee in my jammies, say, after 8:30 am, I get a disapproving glance. The later in the day, the quieter and more critical she becomes. This is a very weird thing to live with and very much interferes with my joy in laziness. I keep thinking that I will learn to ignore it, but I haven't yet and it has been several months.

bye! Gotta go look for some souvenirs to take back to the states -- I guess my leisurely morning is at an end!

No comments: