Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Overflowing life

I know, given that I am not blogging regularly at all, I have probably lost all readership, but just in case....we have lots of exciting news: Zambia, Patagonia, and visits from Mom & Dad, Connie & Steve, Bruce & Helda & Marcos.

We are all super happy that we heard on Halloween that we will be going to Zambia for our next post! I am super happy and I think it will be fabulous. If you have interest and any time at all I recommend checking out this site: http://www.zambia-travel-guide.com/bradt_guide.asp?bradt=170. The author has uploaded most of his travel guide to the internet and it is VERY readable and interesting. In the last week I have decided that while we are in Zambia, we absolutely MUST do several things already: visit Victoria Falls (of course), go on a canoe safari through the lower Zambezi River, and go on a walking safari in South Luangwa National Park. Those are just the start though, as I am sure we will want to explore other places in Zambia and also other countries near Zambia. We may even manage to make it to South Africa for the world cup! Who knows?

Knowing where we are going also makes us suddenly aware of how little time we have here. We hope to leave Santiago at the end of June (after the school year is done) and have home leave in Michigan for the month of July. We will probably spend two weeks in Washington and then we hope to arrive in Lusaka in time for the start of school at the American International School of Lusaka -- which starts on the third Monday of August. The kids had such a better start here in Chile this year than last year. It was infinitley harder last year having missed the first quarter of school. Aidan will be starting middle school and we really, really hope we can make it so they both get to start the year with their peers. Of course, this totally depends on the government and who knows? We are not "entitled" to leave here until October, actually. We shall see.

Anyway, I was writing about our plans to enjoy Chile in the months we have left (which may be as few as 7 or 8). One plan we have made is to go to Patagonia for a week at New Years. We have purchased the tickets already! Our plan is to go to Torres del Paine National Park and backpack/camp with the kids for at least 5 days. Even though it is summer here at that time, it will still be cold there -- getting up to 60+ degrees in the daytime and down to 40 (or as low as freezing) at night. We hope it won't be too much for all of us! In the meantime, we intend to do a good bit of hiking and camping to try to get us and the kids in shape for a trip like this.

No less exciting is the prospect of visits from family! We are super excited that my folks have figured out a way to visit for a couple of weeks at the end of January and beginning of February. We are thrilled. I have just begun to make a list of ideas for what we can do and see together -- the mountains and coasts, maybe a bit of the desert and the northern end of the lake district? Who knows? Definitely some vineyards. The same goes for the Ferguson clan who plan to visit in March. It will be a ball to get the cousins together because it has been WAY too long since they have spent time together (2 years by March -- unless I am confused).

In the meantime, I mean to find better ways to moderate my work/family/friend schedule. I am working out the kinks and will learn to balance things better with a little more time, I am confident. Dear friends, please know I love and think of you often.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Ok you have inspired me to stay an unemployed, lazy, spa loving, maid employing, trailing spouse. Kidding. Actually we are busy trying to prioritize what we still want to do with our remaining time here in Jakarta. One thing for sure I will going to the spa quite often as I am sure that luxury will be lots more expensive in Frankfurt. LOL
PS. I still check your blog every few days, just in case.