Thursday, January 20, 2011

Evangeline

The lovely mitt that I "frogged" (gave up on and tore out) yesterday was from a pattern by Michelle Szeghalmi-Shirley that I purchased on the Ravelry website.  You can buy yours there (if you are a Raveler) or from her website: The Sweet Sheep.  If you knit or crochet, I recommend you become a Raveler, as it is free and inspiring.
Here is a not-so-great pic of my solo Evangeline:
I knitted it in Zitron Nimbus.  I fell in love with this yarn when I saw it on the hank in the shop, but I have been a lot less happy with it than I expected.  Primarily,  I don't like the colors/color changes as they appear in the small projects I have done with it.  I knitted one cowl and tore it out before I found a pattern with Horseshoe Lace that involved knitting into the row below, thereby mixing the colors more (see Knitting Bandita).  I think I would love the slow color changes of this yarn if I were knitting a much larger project, say a sweater, which would narrow the stripes and place the colors closer together, as they were in the hank when I bought it.  

People who have tried knitting & quit have often told me that their trouble was that they couldn't face undoing a project when they had made a mistake.  I remember that feeling. Recently though, I have been having the urge to "frog" whenever I realize what I am knitting isn't turning into what I had imagined/hoped for.  Also, I am learning lots of new techniques lately which make the process of knitting exciting even when I don't end up with a product.

No comments: