Career
1. a path or progress through life or history
2. a profession or occupation chosen as one's life's work
Portable
1. able to be carried or moved easily, esp by hand
2. (of software, files, etc) able to be transferred from one type of computer system to another (read "one type of culture or country")
I have been feeling a strange urge lately. I suppose it isn't shocking. The kids are no longer homeschooling; we are mostly set-up and starting to feel at-home; and, we are in Europe (= a little short of cash). All these do add up to a certain question -- shouldn't I be doing something else? Shouldn't I be making some money?
Now, to be honest, what I have been feeling is a little more than that. Over two months ago I applied for a job at the embassy. Nothing overly involved, just some escort work. It would have provided some extra money, renewed my HR status and updated my security clearance without threatening my mostly haus-frau status. I have had more involved jobs in the past and I knew I wasn't ready to take on a commitment like being CLO. Of course, the government hiring freeze has prevented anything coming of my effort.
No, what I am now thinking about is more like, "what am I going to do when I finally grow up?" Oh dear. Despite my cold last week, I even ventured out to a spouse coffee discussion of Portable Careers -- I must actually, finally, be interested. Of course, we did some nice sharing, but no one was able to give me a list of fabulous jobs, with increasing complexity & responsibility over the years (as well as increasing pay) that are easily portable from one continent to another.
I have had some super work the last few years - raising my kids. Unfortunately, in addition to clean laundry and warm food and love, I am sensing lately that what I could also be providing for them is some savings for college! Oh well. I know I am incredibly privileged to have the choices I have: to stay at home, work part-time, choose what I do. Still, once I raise the question, "what could I be doing outside the home?", I find the options somewhat limited by our circumstances.
As I open this Pandora's box, I must be clear -- I chose these circumstances just as much as my husband did. I want and wanted this life. Now comes the time for me to be creative about looking for work that I will find fulfilling, that I could "choose as my life's work" and that will fit these wild circumstances. Oh, and by the way, is mostly part-time, since I still have this other job set (mother, wife, and home-mover).
So, this is NOT a post with a conclusion, just an opening. Please feel free to comment!
In the meantime, I am applying for a job to substitute teach at the International School. NOT a career!
5 comments:
Love reading about job search angst - good blog! I wish you success as a substitute teacher. Its been my "career" for the past 2+ years. (if you don't count 90 days as a temporary public affairs assistant!)
love to kids. from Celia
Do some writing! I love to read what you write. You certainly have a lot of material and to choose from :-)
I love you, Carrie Poe
Kate, think 'internet!' Think product or skill that you can communicate through the internet. it's completely portable and you can make some money. You can help people write papers, do research for people. There are companies you can work for who will give you assignments. Google and see what happens :)
Best to you!
Linda
Celia -- it is a career for you!!! YOU are a teacher! Of course it is!
Poe- I have considered it....
Linda - thanks for the idea; I will do some research.
Substitute teaching is a good gig--ask Ajayi! Not a permanent solution but it will stretch you and give you some extra cash as your begin to reflect.
Post a Comment