Friday, September 16, 2011

Four Months? Feeling a bit low.

Going four months (or more) between posts pretty much gets rid of all readership, I suppose.  Oh dear.  Oh well.  Let's see how quickly I can sum things up.

The German language course really did fill up my life and make me VERY busy.  I even learned a little German! Happily, my instructor let me knit during the down time.

All spring and early summer my little business continued to grow.  We went home to Michigan for nearly two months, during which my Etsy business nearly stalled completely, but where I found more customers.  I even participated in my first Craft Fair.  It wasn't a perfect fit and selling wool in 90 degree heat isn't for the faint-hearted, but it was a super experience.  I learned a lot about how much thought and work goes into displays.  I have applied to be in a local Christmas Market here in Berlin (I have heard back yet) and hope to learn more then.

Unfortunately, I have been feeling a bit low lately about the prospects for my business.  I am VERY happy about the things I am making, but they really don't seem to be selling much.  Here are some pics of some of my new things:








I guess I wonder if it makes any sense, selling these things.  Well, I know it doesn't, not really.  I will never really make enough to justify my time.  No one in their right mind would pay me enough!  I am also slightly disillusioned with Etsy.  I spend a great deal of time on my photos and listings & that's on top of my time spent  making all these lovelies.  I have had a few strangers buy or special order items, so I admit it has been a way for few customers to find me.  This weekend I am going to an Etsy conference right here in Berlin to see what I can learn.  I am not willing to quit yet -- it hasn't even been a year on the site, but I just don't know how much energy I should be putting into selling things there.

I have been feeling like a much more comfortable way to earn money from my habit would be to sell at art/craft fairs.  In my idealized vision this would mean that I could spend my joyful hours knitting away at things that I like, building up a lovely little pile of items.  Then, one day I could simply carry them off to a show and sell them.  Let the people who rent me the booth do all the marketing.  I think it might be a silly fantasy.

Any advice out there?  Am I just in a normal lull?  I am very open to feedback at the moment!

6 comments:

Rhonda Wright said...

Don't quit! Your work is beautiful. My guess is you probably need to do both, Etsy and craft fairs. But I would talk to someone who has been through it and is successful. Kara Aubin and her husband Daniel have an apparently successful jewelry business that is on Esty, AND I know they do many other things. It is called Kara Daniel, I believe. You may know her. She is in Kalamazoo. I am barely an acquaintance or I would e-introduce you.
Good luck, sweetie!
Rhonda

Julie said...

I agree - don't give up! I love love love your stuff. It's just amazing. I think going through sales lulls is normal. Just remember why you are doing this - is it primarily to make money, or is to make a little money on what you like to be spending your time on anyway? Just try not to let your love for your craft start feeling too much like a "job." It might not be as enjoyable if you slip over to the dark side. ;)

Shannon said...

Apparently going so long between posts doesn't kill all your readership.

I am thinking that you should probably leave up your Etsy shop even if you don't put an awful lot of effort into it. In Germany the craft fair thing may work but will it work if you next post takes you back to Africa or off to Asia? The Etsy shop will give you a sense of continuity so you are not entirely reinventing the wheel with each move.

The stuff you are making is lovely and I wish I could have found stuff like that when I had little ones.

Heather said...

Hey Cousin! Don't give up. It probably has a lot to do with the time of year. I alwasy seem to question the why's and wherefore's this time of year (the short fall before our endless winter). Actually doing a lot of evaluating right now myself. Made a list of what a don't like, then I'm trying to pick them off one by one with what I could do different. Of course I hope your solution will be much more sane. Mine is going back to school for a civil engineering degree, along with working full time and single mom-itude. Your work is absolutely beautiful and I wish I had your talent! You will find what works best for you,just may take a bit of time :) Hugs!!! Heather

Deb said...

Hey Kate, you should do both. Have a website to sell stuff and go to craft fairs. I bought tie die and silk screen t-shirts from a craft fair in MT and I'm looking to see if I can get more from her website. People will love your original stuff and perhaps become repeat customers if they can get stuff from you online. Good luck honey. It takes real determination to sell your own art. Loving you. Deb

Kate Husband said...

You guys rock!!!
Thanks for all the support.
Kate