And, I am doing much better. It started on Friday when I finally got courageous and called the people who run the Christmas Market I had applied to participate in. I had been avoiding calling them, hoping they would never discover just how little German I have. I did it anyway. At first, it took a while to find someone who speaks some English, then it took a while for that person to understand who I am (she spoke very little English). Once she understood my name, she clearly knew who I was and remembered my application. Hooray! She quickly got me on the phone with someone a great deal more fluent (but from another department). They wanted to know if I was running a business or a home-crafter. I'm definitely trying to run a business, but I have been crafting for fun for so long that I sometimes wonder myself! I looked around my workroom (what my family calls my "Woman Cave") and declared myself "professional". Then, they wanted proof. I wasn't really sure if I had any, but I sent them to my etsy shop.
Today (after a very eventful weekend, see below), I got a magical email. They want me! Not only do that want me for the Christmas Market, but they'd also like me to participate in their Handmade Textile Market in November. Oh my goodness. I immediately began listing all my current inventory and making a list of everything I would need to make to have enough for both markets. Can I do it? I'm not sure, but I sure am excited by the possibility!
I am also lit up from attending the Etsy conference here in Berlin this past weekend. Amazing Doug made me go. He rocks. Over 500 small business owners (mostly crafters) were in attendance. Imagine. Practical and inspirational talks abounded, almost all in English. And, I met so many other people living here in Germany, here in Berlin, who are walking a similar path. Local community -- is that possible for fs expats, really? I think it might be the holy grail.
| Gnomes from a special order gnome mobile for another expat. |
4 comments:
oh wow what a big step! congrats and those dolls are so sweet
Sounds great! Good luck on all your adventures!
You are one terrific chick cousin of mine :)
Congrats!
Post a Comment