Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Very Busy Spring Week

I am late to my blogging.  Ever since I have become obsessed with Feltaroo, I have been working at making it back here at least once a week, usually on Thursday or Friday.  Last week, I got too involved with a new challenge.  A friend of a friend here in expat community saw some of my stuff at said friend's house.  She gave me a call and said she wondered if I could make her some spring or easter decorations.  About a month ago I had dreamed up a few ideas and bought a couple of patterns (remember the Gauge swatch) that I thought might be nice things for a "spring product line".  I managed the hair garlands, but decided it was too late already to make and try to market Easter-specific stuff online.  Faced with an actual customer, I feel quite differently!

So, knowing we would meet on Thursday or Friday, I set to work to make a couple "demos".  First, eggs and nests.  I made a knitted and felted version -

And a needle-felted version -

My next thought was bunnies.  I have a great plan for Mama bunny full of baby bunnies based on one my mom sewed for me when I was a little girl.  Maggie still sleeps with it and pulls out the different babies.  Mine of course, would be knitted and felted.  But that is a HUGE project (I always have idea for the hard way).  So, I decided to attempt some needle-felted ones.  As a novice, I was quite happy with the outcome.

Finally, I realized the nests need not only eggs, but also birdies.

I also put together a sample decorative garland, based on my flower hair bands.  These have larger flowers sewn to a ribbon (rather than a knitted and felted headband).  I don't have a picture, but I will try to post one next week.  Instead, I will post a picture of my favorite new headband, being modeled by my wonderful upstairs neighbor (I am sporting one of the rosebud headbands).  I really love the rainbow of colors on hers.

So, my inspiring new customer came by on Friday and I have been busily working on her newly ordered projects ever since.  I will remember to take pics before I deliver!

Of  course, I have had some other darlings on my needles as well.  I managed to finish two special orders of gnomes this week -
They each end up having so much more personality than I expect them to!
Don't worry!  The line is "On with their heads!" Not the ugly other line.

Finally, Tooth Fairies
I have fallen deeply in love with making tooth fairies.  I love their ethereal wings. I love their little flower-shaped tooth pockets.  They make me happy.  I adore that I am entirely responsible for the idea, pattern and design.  Here are three new fairies; two have already flown the coop!
Gone to Arizona




Gone to the Carolinas

Incognito - hiding her wings!

3 comments:

melanie malaviya said...

Very cute stuff, love that you are busy being creative :-)

Connie said...

I love your tooth fairies and those bunnies are ADORABLE! :)

Connie said...

btw - if you have a little ad button for your Etsy shop, I'd be happy to include it on my sidebar. My blog needs a facelift and neatening up (you know, something else to do in all that spare time moms have... ) but I talk about crafts here and there too at times and would be glad to try and help.